INGREDIents (serves four)
For the onion soup
- 8 large onions
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- fresh thyme leaves
- 100 g butter
- 6 dl strong chicken stock
- 6 dl Chimay Red
- black pepper and sea salt
- freshly ground fennel seeds
For the toasted cheese baguette
- 8 slices baguette
- 200 g Vieux Chimay, grated
- Peel the onions and cut them into fine rings.
- Fry the onion rings in the butter with the chopped garlic and thyme leaves.
- Add the Trappist beer and chicken stock. Cook on a low heat until the onion is very soft.
- Season to taste with pepper, salt and freshly ground fennel seed.
- Spread the grated Vieux Chimay on top of the baguette slices and brown under the grill.